Thursday, March 30, 2017

What Happens in Two Years?

I've been inspired by my friend Judy who has been writing a blog religiously for the past year or two. She is certainly not someone who I would have expected to start and keep up a blog but she has and she's done a darn good job of it.  I, on the other hand, have done a horrible job of keep up to date on my blog.  It's been two years since I put anything up on it.

But, I have managed to complete many projects in the last two years. I have gotten away from making pincushions like I used to and I haven't painted anything in a year.  I have instead started going through the many many containers of fabric that I've accumulated and I've been trying to complete some of the projects I said I would do when I retired.  Since I've been retired for 7 years it's only fitting I work on them.  I didn't realize I accumulated enough projects to keep me busy for at least 20 years.

Three years ago I found a part-time job at a quilt store on a whim.  So, that didn't help squash the project "bug".  I've tried very hard to not propagate the number of projects I have, but sometimes it's just impossible to pass up a truly beautiful quilt kit.  Although I now tend to start working on new projects and complete them in a timely manner rather than put them in a container to work on at a "later date".  I even "quilt" small projects on my own sewing machine at times rather than send them out to a quilter to be done on a long arm.  Still,  I have quite a "collection" of things in my Sewing Area that needs to be organized and cleaned out and donated to others who can make better use of them. 

Fortunately, my quilt guild in Jackson is having an Auction in the next few months so I have been going through many containers and finding things to donate to them.  It's amazing how difficult it is to part with some of these treasure though.  I have to be in a certain mind set to part with them.  Some days it's easier than others.  But I'd like to be able to move from this home in the next few years to a different place and I keep telling myself if I keep everything I have now, it will be impossible to move!  Do any of you have that problem?  Plus, at my age I just don't need everything I have.  Why on earth all these "things" were so important to accumulate at some time is beyond me!  Yes, I wanted to make sure I would have what I needed if I decided to be sewing at 2am...but this is ridiculous!  And with all that I have, I can't find what I need anyway!  I do believe there's something to be said about "Less is more!".

Well, tomorrow I have the day off and my goal is to go through a couple containers of "things" in the basement along with a few boxes of sewing books I can't fit on the shelves anymore.  Perhaps I can make room down there for a little more organized space and keep only what I truly need!

I'll let you know.

No comments: