Thursday, September 9, 2010

New Pincushions

I read lots of other people's blogs but somehow don't update mine as often as I should. I do keep busy with family and friends and sewing and painting. My granddaughter is growing by leaps and bounds and talking up a storm. She's getting close to being 3 years old. Her new favorite show to watch is Dora the Explorer. She loves to play in the yard with me and pretend the growth at the side of the shed is the Spooky Forest. She makes up Dora stories about the Spooky Forest and the Troll Bridge and makes me laugh. Of course, I don't understand most of what she says because she talks so fast, but if I follow her she's happy.

When she's not here, I spend time making lots of pincushions and other "things". I had great fun making a mouse in a matchbox.
I didn't have an actual matchbox, so I had to make one out of cardboard and cover it with left-over bits and pieces of fabric. Then I found a small piece of fabric I had already quilted and used it for the blanket over the mouse head. Stuffing under the blanket and tacking the blanket down so the stuffing wouldn't stick out completed the top. I then found some color coordinated buttons and stacked them on the four corners of the bottom of the box for feet for the bed to complete the pincushion. It turned out rather cute, I thought. This was sent to someone for a swap, so I couldn't even keep it for myself. I'm working on making another box so I can make one of these for myself. I'll get it completed eventually.
I'm working on a swap right now from CAPC where I was sent two fat quarters of fabric and I have to create a pincushion or pinkeep from the fat quarters. I have two pincushions made already. I just have to take pictures of them. I want to still make a small needlebook for one of the pincushions before I take a picture.
Another swap I'm a bit late sending out was to use hexagons, prarie points, or some other typing of piecing in the pincushion. I just took pictures of my pincushion tonight. I have to upload it and mail it out. Hopefully that will get done tomorow.
Great news....I will have a new granddaughter in December!!!! Yeah!!! My son and DIL are expecting and we found out early this month they are expecting a little girl. We thought she was expecting a boy because of how sick she had been throughout her pregnancy, but we were wrong. I'm thrilled. Little girls are wonderful to spoil and make pretty things for. And her big sister wants to have a little sister to play with!
Well, hopefully it won't be so long before I post again. Perhaps I'll get those pictures uploaded tomorrow and get them on this blog. Until then, have a great day!

No comments: